The BeeDefender Alliance is a network of European beekeeping associations and enviromental organizations. It has been founded by Mellifera e. V. in 2006 to protect bees, humans and the environment from the adverse impacts of chemical-intensive agricultural production promoted by the agro industry. If necessary, we take legal action to serve this cause.
The main focus areas of the BeeDefender Alliance are the fight against the use of highly hazarduous pesticides and the fight against the introduction of genetically modified organisms (GMO).
During the past years, the Alliance has been able to contribute to the following successes:
- the Alliance, in particular our German beekeeper associations, succeeded in enforcing an EU-wide partial ban of the active pesticide substances clothianidin, imidacloprid and thiametoxam, belonging to the class of neonicotinoids. These systemicpesticides are proven to be extremely harmful to bees and other pollinating insects.
- In 2011, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruled that honey which inlcludes pollen of Monsanto’s GMO corn MON 810 constitutes a genetically modified foodstuff and therefore requires an admission under EU genetic engineering legislation. Without such an admission, the sale of the contaminated honey is prohibited. With this ruling, the ECJ strengthened the rights of consumers and beekeepers who can now claim compensations if they cannot market their honey due to a contamination with GMO pollen which does not have an approval for human consumption. The Alliance has collected the financial resources and provided the legal expertise to ensure that the affected German beekeeper Karl-Heinz Bablok was able to prevail in court.
Currently, the Alliance supports beekeeper Bablok in his complaint at Germany’s Federeal Constitutional Court.
The BeeDefender Alliance is coordinating the activities of its member associations to serve as interveners in the lawsuits of Bayer, BASF and Syngenta at the ECJ against the partial ban of the three neonicotinoids clothianidin, imidacloprid and thiametoxam. In these cases, our members serve as an advocate for the bees, preventing an out-of-court settlement and making sure that the ECJ puts the protection of nature before the profits of the agro-chemical giants.
The long-term aim of the Alliance is to mobilize forces for a complete ban of all neonicotinoid pesticides.
Member Organizations of the BeeDefender Alliance
- Aurelia Stiftung
- Mellifera e.V. – Vereinigung für wesensgemäße Bienenhaltung
- Deutscher Berufsimkerbund (DBIB)
- European Professional Beekeepers Association (EPBA)
- Deutscher Imkerbund (DIB)
- Bund Ökologische Lebensmittelwirtschaft (BöLW)
- Assoziation ökologischer Lebensmittelhersteller (AÖL)
- Österreichischer Imkerbund (ÖIB)
- Oberösterreichischer Landesverband für Bienenzucht
- Österreichischer Erwerbsimkerbund (ÖEIB)
- De Immen e. V.
- Union der Basiszüchter e. V.
Thanks to our Principal Supporters
Call for Donations: The bees urgently need your support!
Highly hazarduous pesticides and transgenic crops and foods are an extreme danger for bees, humans and nature. The BeeDefender Alliance is taking judicial action to take on the world’s biggest agro companies. Please donate now to stand with us in our legal fight to save the bees!
Treuhänder: Rechtsanwalt Bernhard Ludwig
IBAN: DE 75 430 609 677 031 573 700
BIC: GENO DE M 1 GLS
Subject: "Rechtshilfe zum Schutz der Bienen“